Reading Photos (Best of 2016)

Rooftop Dreams, Varanasi
Location: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
Photographer: Yasmin Mund
It was 5:30 a.m. and I had just arrived in Varanasi, India, off a sleeper train. I got to my guesthouse and instinctively climbed the seven flights of stairs to see the sunrise over the famous Ganges River. As I looked over the side of the rooftop terrace, my jaw dropped in disbelief. Below were mothers, fathers, children, cats, dogs, and monkeys all sleeping on their roofs. It was midsummer in Varanasi and sleeping without air-conditioning was pretty difficult. Can you spot the curry?
Question 1: I can tell that these people don't live a very comfortable life, but it doesn't mean they aren't happy. They live together and in unsanitary and old buildings alongside animals.
Question 2: Whenever I go to India, I recognize people living in similar conditions, so looking at this photo helps me remember to be grateful for what I have. The way that these people live on rooftop buildings is new to me, though.
Question 3: I think other people should see this photograph, because it will aid them in understanding what his happening in the world around them, so they know where they stand in the world. It can also help them understand how much they have.
Location: White House in Washington, D.C.
Photographer: Susan Walsh
Staff listens as President Barack Obama speaks about the election results in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, on Nov. 9, 2016.
SITE LINK: http://time.com/top-100-photos-2016/
Question 1: This photo reminds me of the reactions to the election by America as a whole. In this photo, there are a variety of people from all different backgrounds, which kind of represents the diversity of America. These people have a variety of expressions and reactions, from angry to scared to bored, and similarly, Americans had many different reactions to the results of the election.
Question 2: I think the most important part of this picture is the variety of expressions of the staff in the photo, because they make you wonder about the situation in the photo.
Question 3: I think the artist made this photo to bring up the gravity of how the election is affecting Americans individually, in order for people to understand the perspectives of those around them during this divisive time.

Divided




Location: Manhattan, New York
Photographer: Kathleen Dolmatch
In the helicopter looking south on Central Park West - dividing the architecture and Central Park, on November 5th 2014, a day before my 27th birthday. The flight was my birthday gift. Taken with Canon 5D Mark iii & EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM - edited in Adobe Lightroom (I previously incorrectly had this as Park Ave)
Question 1: The thing that most interests me about this work of art is how the structure of Manhattan is made in such a way that a busy city can coexist with a peaceful nature park right next to it. The road in the middle also acts like a dividing line between the two.
Question 2: I think that the whole idea of how human society has progressed over centuries that is shown in this photo is worth remembering, because it also shows that there should be boundaries to the colonies and cities we build.
Question 3: I think that if this photo made sound, there would be the sounds of cars honking and the usual sounds from busy streets and roads of people shouting and cars driving. I also think there would be the sounds of birds and other nature as well.


Comments